Sunday, March 13, 2011

Feetsies

I'm writing this post while relaxing on a white, sandy beach on an island in the Maldives.


Just kidding...

My spring break has been hijacked by Senior Show, so I don't plan on returning to class with a golden tan.

But anyway...

This week's study was definitely the hardest so far, but the techniques Amy taught us were incredibly helpful. We started out with shorter drawings where the foot was represented by simple, rectilinear shapes. This allowed us to recognize the different planes of the feet, and really helped to get the right perspective. It ended up being a little more difficult to distinguish the top plane from the side plane, but we learned how to use the ankle as a sort of landmark to separate the two planes. 

Everyone's feet are different, so that's one thing that not only makes them fun to draw, but more difficult as well. The toes are by far the hardest part. Our goal is to avoid "sausage toes", and to think about toes as having different planes as well. I think it's important to really study the bones in the toes to see how they relate to each other. 

By Friday, we were ready to do a long pose and execute what we've learned thus far about drawing feet. I think the pose was about an hour, and I spent most of the hour getting the perspective to look right. I didn't have enough to time to draw all five toes, but I think at this point, it's more important to make really close observations rather than trying to end up with a complete drawing.


2 comments:

  1. Thats ok I didn't go anywhere also, I guess well just appreciate sprig a little more than those who did.
    The feet... I too had difficultly getting the feet in correct perspective. They are a difficult thing to draw i think because we don't look at them everyday, well at least stare at them everyday.
    I found the long feet drawings to be the most difficult of the semester so far. Great job with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading this earlier in the semester and thinking "wow that is really great advice!" I still to this day think hands and feet were the most difficult things that we had to tackle in our Life Drawing class.

    I like how you mention treating the toes in terms of different planes as well. They are just so stout and round that it is hard to remember that they too have multiple planes. and mine all ended up looking pretty "sausage-like."

    and to be honest, I think your foot turned out amazing! The toes look great. They are in perfect perspective and look so life-like.

    So that is great that you went for quality instead of like you said, "but I think at this point, it's more important to make really close observations rather than trying to end up with a complete drawing."
    It really paid off!

    ReplyDelete