Sunday, March 27, 2011

More Snow...

So this week we learned about the upper body. We mainly focused on the shoulders, but also started exploring the arms.

For our gesture drawings, we did the usual ribcage-pelvis-legs, but we added the spines of the shoulder blades. This consisted of two simple lines placed according to however the model was posed. I have to say that I think this is the hardest study so far. The shoulders aren't really that complicated, but it's difficult to recognize and point out the spine of the shoulder blades on the model. It was interesting how Amy could immediately point out where the angles of the shoulder blades were on the models, and I'm sure most of us in class were wondering how in the world she could see that. It's obviously something that comes with a greater knowledge of the human body. I'm sure we'll all get it soon.

Being able to draw from a male model on Friday was really great for the study we did this week. A man's body tends to be more defined than a woman's, so it was a lot easier to recognize the different parts of the shoulder and all of the upper-body muscles.

I've also enjoyed being able to add some little stick arms to my gesture drawings. It's just exciting to see our drawings become more and more complete.

Overall, it was a snowy and hectic week following spring break, but I'm looking forward to spending some more time learning about the shoulders and arms.

1 comment:

  1. Megan,

    I thought it was funny how we were both talking about how our blog posts were following the "this is the hardest study yet!" pattern.

    I couldn't agree with you more on how Amy was able to just point out the spine of the shoulder blades. I really had no idea such things existed. Each bone that appears so simple in my mind ends up being way more complex that I ever though.

    We were very lucky to have a leaner male model. Just by biology women have more fat on their bones then men do. So to be able to see Rob's shoulders just a little closer was a lot of help!

    and even though you say you had a hard time with the shoulders, this drawing that you posted came together very nicely! I personally love the line that follows the collar bone. Also you treatment of line weight.

    Your drawing is very clean and easy to follow, I wish I could emulate that treatment of careful/ more thought out lines.

    ReplyDelete