Monday, April 4, 2011

Arms

We focused mainly on the shoulders again this past week, but by Wednesday, we were doing some long poses where we were supposed to focus specifically on the arms.

For our long pose on Wednesday, I decided to use a drawing horse rather than an easel. This allowed me to get much closer to the model than I've been able to thus far. It took me a while, however, to get used to the new perspective, and I ended up starting my drawing over again a few times before I got the figure scaled correctly on the page. I've been used to focusing on the legs and seeing the entire figure in my drawing, so I kept drawing the figure too big, which then ended up cutting off most of the arm. It's times like this when it would be nice to have three hours to draw, and one thing I've learned this semester so far is that I'm a relatively slow drawer. By the time I got the figure scaled correctly, I found another challenge in seeing the different muscles that make up the arm. I'm sure part of it was because of the perspective I was viewing the arm at, with the elbow pointed out towards me. It was great when Amy came over to look at my drawing, because she was able to basically map out the muscles, which immediately gave me a better understanding of the arm.

We also had a few lectures on the arm this week, along with a couple of muscle assignments. Our muscle assignments were a bit larger than they've been with past assignments, but all of the muscles were pretty small so they didn't take too long to construct. I've probably enjoyed these past couple of muscle assignments for the arms and shoulders the most out of all of our muscle assignments so far. I'm not exactly sure why, but perhaps it's because it's much easier to see how they relate to one another, as opposed to the leg muscles which seemed to intertwine and overlap all over the place.

We're getting closer and closer to being finished learning about the different parts of the figure, and I'm anxious to see what we're going to be doing next!

1 comment:

  1. Megan,

    I found the same problem when I started sitting on the drawing horses instead of standing. I never thought it would make that much of difference sitting that little bit lower than the normal standing height.

    Also, I envy that you are a slower drawer. You drawings always end up really clean and precise. They have this certain "elegant" feel to them. It's very effective!

    ReplyDelete