Sunday, April 10, 2011

Oh my gosh, it's not snowing.

So this week we worked more on the arms, but tried to focus mostly on the forearm. It was a short week due to Mid-Program Review, but we managed to get a couple long drawings in. One thing that was different about this week was that we didn't get the usual feedback from Amy during the long poses because she was inspecting our clay models. I didn't mind this at all because we rarely get a chance to get feedback on our muscles that we've been building throughout the semester, so it was really nice to get some help in making sure everything looked correct. I think I've been doing fairly well with my manikin, but I still seem to have some trouble giving the muscles enough mass. Francois does have a relatively impressive calf, however, but it makes him look a little bottom-heavy in comparison to his thigh.

Back to the drawings...
I definitely struggled with the arms for the past two weeks, but I think I'm slowly improving. I'm so used to including the entire figure in my drawings, so it's been a little difficult trying to zero in and focus solely on the arms. Unless the model has really defined arm muscles, the whole arm just feels like a cylindrical mass, So it would have been awesome to have been able to draw from a male model this week because they usually have more defined arms.

I'm not sure if I'm just getting used to building the muscles on the manikin, or if it's because I have a better understanding of the arm muscles, but I've really enjoyed the past few muscle assignments. Maybe it's because they were easier to build? I don't know, but it's okay with me. I can honestly say though, that I'm anxious to be done with the manikins. As much as I've gotten to know and love Francois, at least when his muscles aren't falling off in the back seat of my car, I'm ready to adopt him out to a new parent.

As of now, this post is technically 6 minutes late, but that's the affect that Senior Show seems to have on one's life....there's little, and I mean little, time for anything else.  

1 comment:

  1. Megan,

    I just want to start off by saying Francois looks awesome! Even though he has mutant muscle colors, your muscles look great.

    As for the whole arm thing and it looking like a cylindrical mass, I feel you. I feel that even with contour lines it was still a little more difficult than the rest to adequately show shape. Then again when you are just drawing one section it tends to look out of place, and flat if you don't have any background to it.

    and I can say I was a little more than excited to finally set Jorge in the classroom for drop off. New parents, here they come.

    ReplyDelete