Friday, April 22, 2011

The Skull

It was a short week for drawing because of Easter break, but we managed a brief study of the skull on Wednesday. I wasn't feeling good on Monday, so I didn't make it to class. I guess it just ended up being another day of drawing hands. I feel fairly confident with my hand drawings. I only ended up getting about three or four fingers done on the skeleton hand drawing, but I managed to get two or three drawings from the model's hand. I really enjoyed drawing the hands, and I felt as if it was one of the easier studies for me. The skull, on the other hand, is a whole other story. I found it pretty difficult to draw the skull because there's so many different planes and it's kind of overwhelming trying to figure out where the plane changes are. I ended up getting stuck on the main bulk of the skull for most of the our drawing time, but once Amy came over and pointed out the different planes of the face, I got a much better understanding of how it all worked. I've finally realized that I'm an extremely slow drawer, and it surprises me how many people seem to get a fairly complete drawing after only an hour long session or less. I like for my drawings to be as accurate as possible, which is the main reason why it takes me so long.

I'm hoping to get a nice, in-depth lecture on the skull sometime, but we're nearing the end of the semester and we still have to do some more facial features, so we'll see.

1 comment:

  1. Megan,

    As I have mentioned a couple times before, you slow style really works to your advantage. Or at least for a third party perspective. Your drawings seem very accurate, and they look very clean. Also the treatment of your line variations give the front of the skull really good depth.

    I wish I could draw at a slower pace and focus more on accuracy rather than having a "finished" drawing. The funny thing about art is that it is never truly finished and you can take as long as you want to make something "perfect." In the end it's all about your style, and how long you want to sit and work/ draw something.

    I personally think your drawings are very good, and wish my drawings looked as clean as yours!

    As for the plane changes, whoa, they were almost impossible to pick up on the first time we sat down to draw the skull. Since it is such a rounded bone it's harder to pick up on them. I found it easiest just to pay attention where the lights would hit the certain planes, and where certain shadows were cast.

    But it's so much more complicated than it sounds. Blah!

    ReplyDelete